MATTHEW A. STREFF, ATTORNEY AT LAW
Your attorney is a counselor...
...someone you should trust...
find an attorney who is right for you.
Attorney Matthew Streff founded Streff Legal because of his passion for working with people from diverse backgrounds, whether from different countries or different parts of our local communities. His clients include physicians, entrepreneurs, laborers, researchers, engineers, construction workers, businesses, SVPs, and HR managers; but so often, just family members and loved ones. Matt is an experienced advocate with roots working in larger firms with nationally-respected attorneys, as well as in non-profits and government. Matt has represented clients ranging from Fortune-500 companies, to small tech startups, to individual clients seeking to assert rights against the largest institutions or facing serious criminal or immigration accusations.
Matt's Resume/CV at a glance:
- Leadership / Community Service
- Council / Board of Directors, Minnesota State Bar Association, 2016-2017
- Immigration Law Section Council, Minnesota State Bar Association 2016-2017
- Executive Committee, Minnesota Lavender Bar Association, 2015-2017
- Executive Committee, American Immigration Lawyer's Association - Minnesota/Dakota's Chapter, 2015-2016
- 2014 & 2015 Chair, Upper Midwest Immigration Law Conference
- Attorney Mentor & Volunteer, Advocates for Human Rights
- 2012, 2013, 2014, & 2016 William Mitchell Law Student Mentors Program
- Volunteer, CARA Asylum Project
- Volunteer, Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota, Crime Victim Relief and Deferred Action Programs
- Volunteer Panel Attorney, Misdemeanor Defense Project, Hennepin County Bar Association
- Member, Minnesota Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Minnesota North Star Lawyer Recognition for Pro Bono Service
- Minnesota Justice Foundation Achievement in Volunteer Public Service Recognition
- Street Law Educational Outreach Program
- Recent Presentations and Publications
Matthew A. Streff, “U.S. Immigration Law: Legal Pathways for Physician Immigration.” (Chapter 6), The American Heath Care System: A Practical Guide for Foreign Medical Graduates Who Want to Enter the System, Eds. Marco G. Patti, P. Marco Fisichella, Springer, publication pending, expected January 23, 2018, ISBN 978-3-319-67593-0
Greta Kaul, (Matthew A. Streff interviewed and quoted), Trump Ordered a Review of the Program for Bringing Foreign Skilled Workers to the U.S. What's He Likely to Find in Minnesota?, MinnPost, May 5, 2017 Click here to read the article.
Matthew A. Streff, Eric Ledbetter, Debra Schneider, Intra-Company Transferees L-1A/L-1B/EB-1(3), American Immigration Lawyer's Association Minnesota Dakotas 2016 Upper Midwest Immigration Law Conference, Minneapolis, MN, May 13, 2016
Matthew A. Streff, Multi-National Same Sex Couples: The Legal Journey to Cross Borders, With Equal Right, Minnesota Women’s Lawyers, Volume XLI, Issue I, Spring 2016
Roy Ginsburg, Satveer Chaudhary, Courtney Ernston, Matthew A. Streff, Build Your Immigration Practice, Minnesota State Bar Association, Immigration Law Section, Minneapolis, MN April 28, 2016
Matthew A. Streff, Eugene Sherayzen, Todd Vollmers, Foreign Investment in the United States: Key Immigration, Business, and Tax Considerations, Minnesota State Bar Association, International Business Law Section, Minneapolis, MN, February 18, 2016
Matthew A. Streff, Practice Pointers: National Origin Discrimination and I-9 Compliance, Hennepin Lawyer, Hennepin County Bar Association, Volume 85, Issue 1, January/February 2016.
Lisa L. Bean, Laura E. Nelson, Hon. J. Nicole Starr, Matthew A. Streff, After Obergefell: The Impact of Marriage Equality, Minnesota Lavender Bar Association 2016 Annual Conference, Minneapolis, MN, January 30, 2016
Matthew A. Streff, Anthony Weigel, Ana Pottratz Acosta, What’s So Special About H-1Bs?, American Immigration Lawyers Association Minnesota/Dakotas 2015 Upper Midwest Immigration Law Conference, Minneapolis, MN, April 24, 2015
Matthew A. Streff, Virgil Weibe, John Keller, What’s in the Hopper? Immigration Executive Action and Legislation in 2015, Minnesota State Bar Association Immigration Law Section, Minneapolis, MN, March 16, 2015
Piyumi M. Samaratunga, Mariela R. Benitez, Matthew A. Streff, Hiring Foreign Nationals, Work Authorization, and I-9s – Workforce Verification Compliance, Felhaber Larson, PA 2013 Annual Labor & Employment Seminar, Bloomington, MN, Nov. 8, 2013
Mark Lanterman, Matthew A. Streff (moderator), The Impact of Digital Evidence, 2013 Annual American Immigration Attorneys Association Minnesota/Dakota’s Chapter Annual Meeting, St. Paul, MN, May 30, 2013
- William Mitchell College of Law, Juris Doctor, cum laude, 2011
- Legal apprenticeship training in Immigration Law, Aronson & Associates, PA, 2006-2009
- University of Nebraska - Lincoln, Bachelor's, English Major, Medieval and Renaissance Studies Minor, 2006